Price Risk Management / Commodity Outlook Workshops
The N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services will host seven free price-risk management workshops across the state to help farmers better understand the futures market and other trading options to sell their commodities.
The series, “Price Risk Management/Commodity Outlook,” features workshops conducted by NCDA&CS staff between Jan. 7 and March 13. Topics to be covered include an introduction to grain hedging, basis trading, cost of carry, cotton futures, options trading on futures and equities, and macro forces impacting the hedger. There will be an emphasis on the principles or options, spreading strategies, and using options to manage financial risk. Energy derivatives, traded at the CME/NYMEX, will be explained as well as trading strategies to manage your exposure to energy. Workshops will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. except where noted. Lunch will be on your own. Registration is not required. Following are the schedule and locations:
- Wednesday, Jan. 7 — Robeson County Agriculture Building (O.P. Owens Building), Lumberton, 910-671-3276;
- Friday, Jan. 9 — Johnston County Ag Center, 2736 NC 210 Hwy, Smithfield, 919-989-5380;
- Monday, Jan. 26 — Pitt County Extension Center, 403 Government Circle, Greenville 252-902-1709 (During the Corn Production Meeting)
- Wednesday, Jan. 28— Pasquotank County Extension Center, 1209 McPherson St, Elizabeth City, 252-338-3954. (During Soybean Production Meeting) – Time: 12 -2 p.m.
- Tuesday, Feb. 17 — Northampton Cooperative Extension Center 9495 NC Hwy 305 N, Jackson, NC 27845. (Prior to corn/soybean meeting.)
- Tuesday, March 12 — Union County Extension Center, 3230 Presson Rd, Monroe, NC, 704-283-3801.
- Friday, March 13 — Carolina Farm Credit’s Administrative Office, 146 Victory Lane, Statesville, 800-521-9952.
Registration Form for the Price Risk Management Futures & Options workshops should be submitted to Nick Lassiter, NC Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services. Nick’s phone number is 919-707-3129. For more information, contact Nick Lassiter, NCDA&CS marketing specialist, at 919-707-3129. From: NC Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services-Marketing Department, Nick Lassiter.